Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Wall

One of the things on my list of crap I want my dad to do while he's here to keep him occupied things I think would be fun to do with my dad while he's here was a flower bed around the front of my house.  My house is all garage from the front and I wanted to try to draw your eye to the front door area.  I thought that a large flower garden would do the trick.  I sketched out what I wanted and then submitted it for approval-to Dee and my mom.  Dee gave the go ahead, but Mom made some changes.  This is what we started with-YUCKY! and TRASHY! 
We decided on a brick and went to the Depot to pick it up.  They gave us the use of their truck for one hour for free.  So, as soon as they loaded it up, the clock was ticking.  We made good time on the road and then.....we had to unload.

That's a lot of rock.
We made it back to the Depot with six minutes to spare.  All that speeding as a teenager has really paid off later in life.

Side Note:  When we came back from the Home Depot, Jensyn had fallen asleep hiding from my mom.  I asked what happened and she proceeded to tell me that she had chased Jensyn all over the house, trying to get her dressed.  Jensyn was screaming 'Mommy dress me, Mommy dress me!' which my mom took as 'I want Mommy to dress me!'  So, since she knew that I was very busy and pressed for time, she was insistent that she would dress Jensyn and it would be fine.  Jensyn ran and hid and when my mom found her, she was asleep.  Apparently Grandma had stressed her out so much, she finally just fell asleep.  I very calmly explained to my mom, she was actually saying, 'Mommy already dressed me!'   I guess my choice in clothing looked too much like pajamas.
At this point we had to take a break to go to Leighton's Character Award Ice Cream Party (and no I don't make it a habit of sending my child to school in her pajamas, it was Pajama Day as well.)

This little one IS quite a character, I guess that's why she got in on the Character Ice Cream Party.  (or maybe because she's so cute!)

We came back and laid the first row, and then it was cake from there on out.  Of course, I say that because my dad laid the first row.  He makes everything look so easy......then you try to do it by yourself!

He did have a lot of help.

See, A LOT of help.  Wait, she isn't helping?  

 Dee got home and cut the last couple of bricks so they would fit into place.  He then took the wheelbarrow into the backyard with his helpers.   See, they are still helping.

This is what the final wall looks like.  What?  You can't see it?  That is kind of the idea.  It blends in so well with the foundation brick.  I am very excited to fill it with dirt and plants.   


UPDATE:  It only took us forever to fill up the bed with dirt and we have planted a few plants.  It needs a lot more and I will slowly fill it in.  Now I am itching to do the other two beds in the front yard.  Mom and Dad are coming to visit in October!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I love that, too! But then, I love practically anything having to do with gardening, including weeding and, you can ask your mom, clipping oak. I think it's gorgeous! And Jensyn only makes things better in that last picture.

Megan said...

Leslie it looks amazing!