Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Year, New Me!

Dee started his new job on Monday, and I feel as if I have started my job too. I just realized that I have not been a mom to Jensyn these last fourteen months. Yes, I took care of her, played with her, fed her, and loved her. But, I didn't do the 'mom stuff' with her. I didn't talk to her non-stop all day, count out oranges at the grocery store, explain where and why we were running errands, having her 'help' clean the house, teach colors while sorting laundry, go pick up the girls and get to see all the kids, etc. I just sent her into see Dee, so I could get those things done. As most of you know, Dee is not a big talker. We are lucky for 15 words a day.

I just can't help but think that is at least part of the reason for her speech delay. Just the last two days she has learned 3 or better signs and uses them consistently. She is even using the few words she has {uh=up, ba ba=diaper, mmmmmmuh=moo, bu bu=bawk bawk (chicken)} on a more consistent basis. I am feeling very guilty and very inspired to get back to my job: being a mommy. I had forgotten just how fun it can be. Jensyn makes even the grocery store fun!

6 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

I love this post. I have been trying to be more engaged with Kiki because I think I did kind of the same thing- only I let Kate entertain her. And man, that Kiki is a good time.

Yes, you are on my friends list. Know what I was thinking about yesterday? How Falor was always complaining about how fast we talked: "You two are like being at an auction."

Lisa said...

Mom = Guilt

Leslie, you are a great mom. Jensyn will be just fine. She is beautiful and smart and she will talk when she wants to. Don't get me wrong I think any early intervention is key, but do not blame youself. We (as parents) are crucial in our childrens developement, but we do not
"make or break" what they can or cannot do!!

Luv you!!!!

The Amayesings said...

You are an awesome mom and Jensyn is going to be just fine. You're on top of things--not waiting to get her speech is key. She's a doll and will get there. NO MORE GUILT!!

The Amayesings said...

PS Dinner is also one of my favorite holidays!

Vanessa said...

Don't be too hard on yourself! You are a great mom!

Leslie said...

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I was able to get a speech evaluation scheduled for next Tuesday. I just hope I can finally get an answer and peace of mind.