Wednesday, June 2, 2010

That Doesn't Even Make Sense

**WARNING** **RANT**

In NC, starting in the third grade, students must take End of Grade tests (EOGs). Because Carly has an IEP (Indivualized Education Plan) and is pulled out for both reading and math, I kind of assumed that she would be exempt from those tests or at least have a modified version of those tests. I approached her resource teacher earlier in the year concerning those modified tests. She assured me that no, because Carly was in a regular classroom for any instruction (science, social studies, etc.) that she would not qualify for the modified EOG. I spoke to a friend of mine with a student in another school in the county. She said that her child would be taking the modified EOGs. I went back to Carly's teacher with this information and she again reassured me that she had called her superior and was given the same information. She even had printed documentation from DPI (Department of Public Instruction) that seemed to back up their case.

Fast forward to the end of the school year. Carly takes the EOGs and bombs! When I say bomb I don't mean she didn't do so well. On one of her tests she was in the 1%. But, I stepped back and realized, how in the hell was she supposed to do any better than that?! This test is third grade math and reading material. Not only is she not on a third grade math and reading level, but she isn't even in the classroom when this material is being presented. A genius couldn't even do well. Is this what No Child Left Behind has given us?

Now while all her friends are discussing their math and reading scores, she has nothing. My friend's daughter took her modified EOG that was based on the information and skills that she was learning this year. She aced it! She is so proud that she got a four like all of her friends. I feel like Carly was robbed of this accomplishment. No matter how hard she tries, each year at the end of the year, she will FAIL!!! If I were her, I wouldn't even try, what's the point?

I am letting it go this year. Carly does not know what she got on her tests. She knows that she is going on to fourth grade and that is really important to her. But, this fall I am going to start the fight to change her testing. I have fought these battles over and over and over. I swear it is a never ending battle. Each time something new comes up, it is like starting from day one.

I know that Carly is not like other kids. Not other kids with Down syndrome or typical kids. GET OVER IT!!! Is any child just like another child? Does society have to compartmentalize each and every person? ADD, ADHD, Autism, Down syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, etc. Each child with one of these diagnoses is a CHILD FIRST! Get to know the child, form the IEP (yes, that first letter is I for INDIVIDUAL!!!), and then form a game plan. I know it is hard work, I taught her everyday for the first five years of her life, I do her homework with her every night. She is a smart girl who deserves better. She knows it and I know it.



I appreciate all the time and effort that a teacher has to put in every day. I am grateful that Carly has been lucky enough to have had great teachers who expected the best and I think they got it!

4 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

Amen, sister. Your child is lucky to have you to advocate for her!

Vanessa said...

As a SPED teacher, I think its a complete and utter joke that they gave her the test.

There used to be a little box that we could check on their IEP that made them completely exempt from taking it, based on their cognitive and academic testing. Not anymore.

I'm just as mad as you. I'm sorry.

darcy said...

Carly is blessed to have such a good mom!

Danielle said...

I say AMEN and "GO GET THEM" I was astounded when I found out Carly had to take the EOG. Espeically when she hasn't been taught third grade material.