Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Leighton is 6

This is Leighton first thing in the morning. She does not like to get up early for school and fights valiantly to stay in bed just a little longer. I asked her what she wanted for breakfast on her birthday, expecting some extravagant item that would require me to wake up at five and begin preparations. She came up with Poptarts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Look at the happiness!
The night before, Dee and I realized that because her party was Saturday, we had neglected to get her a present to open on her birthday. Blogger to the rescue. I took a shirt that she had refused to wear on numerous occasions, picked out some cute fabric and using Pellon fusible webbing (which I found out is made by Dee's new employer), made her a 'new' birthday shirt. Not bad, for two hours before bedtime and no trip to the store.
She also wanted to take her lunch. I know, she is just full of demands!
Well, here comes the tough part. I, regrettably, showed her rainbow cupcakes in a magazine. To which she excitedly exclaimed, 'I want to take those to school!'
Way to go, Leslie! Next time wait until after her birthday to show her stuff like that.

I dropped the girls off at school and got back to start on the cupcakes.
I separated the batter into six different bowls and colored them appropriately.
I slowly layered, in 24 cupcake liners, purple, then blue, then green, then decided that this was for the birds and started dumping, quickly, yellow, then orange, then finally red. It was incredibly time consuming and I was complaining the entire time.

They came out of the oven like this: I was dying to break one open. But, 22 students plus one teacher and one assistant equals 24, so I had to wait. I brought them to school and started passing them out. The kids were 'ooh'ing and 'aah'ing and 'cool'ing. That made me hate them a lot less.

This is a very blurry picture of the teacher assistant's.
The smile on this little girl made it all worth it! She got home and said that it was her best birthday ever!
Mine too, baby, mine too.

1 comment:

helicke said...

Those are the biggest smiles ever! :)