Sunday, September 27, 2009

Halloween Crafting on the Cheap

I have been on a crafting jag. But (sigh), just like everyone else, I don't have a lot of money to spend on such foolishness. So I blog hop and find all these cute ideas. This is the latest one to go around the blogs. Check out any of the ones listed on my side bar for their version.
Total cost: less than $2.00 and the best part; time was less than 20 minutes.
The frame came from the Dollar Tree and the paper from the Dollar-ish part of Target.
I printed the B on the paper (too hard to cut out), cut out the Os and glued them on the paper(could have printed them too, just didn't think about it until afterward), taped them all inside the frame and Ta-Da!
Most of the Crafty Ones change out their letters for each holiday;
Christmas-JOY, Valentine's Day-XOX, 4th of July-USA, etc.
Coree is on the hunt for a four slot picture frame. It will give her more options; just a few we came up with; Winter-SNOW, February-LOVE, March-LUCK, Easter-EGG/HOP, Spring-GROW, July-FLAG, Summer-PLAY, Autumn-FALL, Christmas-HO HO/NOEL. The ones with only three letters would leave a spot for an embellishment or my favorite, an exclamation mark!
There is also another idea in blogland. Use all different shapes and sizes of frames, spray paint them all the same and use the same insert idea. Then the words you could use would be limitless.
Cheap Craft #2
My wonderful sister bought me a hanging terracotta plate right after I got married.
Not this plate, but it was just as bright, same fishy theme and not my style.
I have held on to it for nearly 14 years. I have seen a lot of re-purposing on blogs lately and went into the attic to see what I had that I could change into something I would use and there it was.
Well. what do you think?
The colors are a little off because of the nighttime photo. The color that looks like yellow green is actually the same color as the spider web paper above.
Yes, it is the same Target paper. I had the paint. I always have the paint.
What I wasn't going to show you was this.....
how about my sexy model-thanks, Deein my excited rush to complete this fun craft, I neglected to check where the hanger was before I starting Mod Podging like a fool. I rationalize my mistake this way: If I would have hung it on the front door as planned, the hook would have fallen and broken my adorable, if I don't say so myself, plate to pieces. Now it will be safe and sound in a plate rack.
Cost for this project: less than $1.00.
And I still have paper left from that pack.
Well, I must go. Lots more crap goodies up there to re-purpose.
I just might get it cleaned out after all.

1 comment: