Friday, October 16, 2009

Things I've Learned in the Flu Crisis.....

This week, in this order: Me, Leighton, Jensyn and Carly, all got the flu. We are all on the road to recovery. During this journey through Hell, these are some of the things I have learned...

1. I HAVE THE BEST FRIENDS
My friend picked up my child from school and safely deposited her on my doorstep (Thanks Amanda). All the rest were so quick to offer help. I knew that they meant it and would do anything-short of physical contact with the infected (do you blame them?)

2. FLU INFECTED PEOPLE ARE EVERYWHERE
They are at the doctor's office, the drug store, the drive-through at McD, the gas station, and Target. How do I know this? because, while sick, I went to all these places. I didn't go with wanton disregard for others' health, I went because I needed; to take my sick baby, to pick up prescriptions and Motrin, dinner, gas, and Jensyn's prescriptions and Tylenol, respectively. Why did I have to do all those things, when my (at home) husband was not sick? see #3 below. Note: I am not going anywhere, once I get well.

3. MY HUSBAND IS USELESS
When I asked him to take Jensyn to the pediatrician, he went into a panic. 'I don't know how to get there. What am I supposed to do when I get there? Where do I go? I don't know how much she weighs. Ummm.....I have the chills. I am getting the flu. Can't you just take her?'
AARRRGGGGHHHHH! Oh I almost forgot-he threw my bag of medicine in the outside trash. It was an accident, but had the bag actually held trash, it would have sat there until I asked, 'Are you going to take this trash out?'

4. A BAD DECISION ISN'T ALWAYS BAD
I took Leighton and myself to the local Minute Clinic (Doc in a Box, according to my MIL). The very thorough nurse practitioner prescribed Tamiflu for Leighton and Relenza for me. I was feeling very bad about my mommy decision. I am not a big fan of the Minute Clinic, but was physically unable to drive all the way to the pediatrician in Raleigh. (Why didn't Dee drive us? See above.) We waited FOREVER for the pharmacist to fill our prescription and then came home.

The next day was Jensyn's turn and by now I felt good enough to drive to the pediatrician. We saw a new doctor in the practice who told me that had I taken Leighton to see them, she would have been sent home with instructions to keep well hydrated and well rested. No Tamiflu. She didn't fit into the CDC's high risk group. Since by this time, Leighton was back to running and jumping all over the house, I was happy with my bad mommy decision.

5. WE STILL NEED THE FLU SHOT
The pediatrician told me that as soon as everyone is well and off Tamiflu, we need to get both the seasonal flu vaccine and the swine flu vaccine. She said there is no way to know which actual strain we had so the girls could potentially get the flu again. To that I say: Not on my watch. Flu vaccine here we come.

This is the first year that my kids haven't gotten the flu shot and also the first year they have gotten the flu. I kind of blame the pediatrician's office. They usually send us a card stating that the vaccine is in for high risk groups (Carly got put on that list and was not removed when she didn't fall into that category anymore. I think it has to do with the fact that all the nurses love her and her doctor is quite fond of her too). We didn't get our card. I kept seeing signs at the drug stores offering the flu shot, but still no card. I know I could have called, but didn't. That is why I only kind of blame them.

6. I AM GREAT IN A CRISIS, MY MIND...NOT SO MUCH
I had everything together, sick people sequestered, medication flowing, etc. I put Jensyn in bed, then did some laundry. When I went back to check on her, her breathing was a little shallow and fairly quick. My brain immediately jumps into crazy, anxiety mode. I scooped her up and spent the night evaluating her breathing.....and crying, thinking about losing my baby in the night. It was an unpleasant and moist night for her and a sleepless and headache inducing one for me.

7. CARLY IS TOUGH
Leighton and Jensyn were both crying constantly and hanging on me for dear life when they didn't feel well. Carly just asked for a blanket and Qubo. That is tough.

8. I AM MEAN
Because Carly didn't act sick (see above #7) I forgot that she was sick. She asked for some milk, took one sip and then said she was full. I yelled at her, 'If you only wanted one sip, why did you even ask for any? Don't you know I don't feel good and don't want to get up over and over again just to get you a sip. Can't you just have water and get it yourself? You make me so mad sometimes.' She looked at me and tears welled up and then she started crying. I remembered she felt just as bad as I did and then I felt about one inch tall. I apologized and asked her forgiveness, which, of course, she gave me. She gave me a big hug and tried to apologize back. I am going to be so lost when she grows up and leaves our house to be an adult. She teaches me so much and yet, I have so much to learn.

9. ELEMENTARY SCHOOL IS A CESSPOOL OF GERMS
I realize that kids will get sick and spread germs. What I don't get is why, when said children are sick, are they still sent to school? I called teachers to let them know that my kids would be out for a week. They were shocked. They told me that nearly all parents sent them back as soon as they had no fever-not even the requested 24 hours after the fever. I explained that the doctor had said seven days from the onset of symptoms and that was what we would be doing. They were appreciative. One explained that she had a child just the day before sent home with a 102 degree fever, back the next day. Hello, that is NOT 24 hours.
I get it that you don't want to deal with your kid, but neither does the teacher, or the school nurse. We keep getting memos, emails and reminder announcements to keep our sick kids home and I kept thinking 'Why are they inundating us with this stuff?' Now I know, people don't get it! That, my friends, is why my kids have the flu. I hope those jerky parents appreciate that I am keeping my sick kids home.

I'm sure there are plenty of other things I learned, but right now #3 is coughing and waking up #2, so I must intervene. I am hoping you all stay healthy and
GET YOUR FLU SHOT.

8 comments:

kcizatt said...

Your #3 reminds me of my husband.

ShazBraz said...

I'm so sorry you've been so sick!!

and big ol' ditto on #9. I'm so sick of being coughed on. and sneezed on. and goobered on. I've just about started gargling with my hand sanitizer.

C & C said...

I love reading your blog. It cracks me up. Reading about the flu was funny and I felt bad for you. How miserable!!! And I discovered the Magic Eraser a year ago and it is AWESOME

Becca Hatch said...

Amen, sister. We haven't got our flu shots yet, but we will.

The Amayesings said...

I am so sorry you've been under the weather and having to deal with a sick family!!! It's hard enough to be a healthy mom w/sick kids let alone sick yourself!!! I've got a sickie today and am doing my darndest to keep the others from getting it. Nobody has the h1n1 vaccine in this town yet, so we're playing the waiting game. Life's fun, isn't it?

Megan Young said...

Amen...
P.S. I wish I was closer to help.

I am sending you all a germless hug.

darcy said...

I'm hoping that you're starting to feel better. Dee needs a kick in the pants for not helping out more. And I agree that kids should be kept home when sick.

Get well soon.

Vanessa said...

I got into a debate w/a woman on fb. She said that washing your hands, eating a diet of elder berries would ward off the flu. WHAT??? Crazy lady. She was against flu shots. I'd like to see how she fares this cold and flu season.

We are flu shot and swine flu mist protected. I hope we stay healthy. Maybe I should try some elderberries.

Hope you stay healthy the rest of the winter!