Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Do you know what your child would do???

I was watching one of those programs where the parents are very confident that their child won't go with the stranger. The reporter then shows them a video of their child walking hand in hand with said stranger off to their supposed death.


Those shows terrify me.

I have talked extensively with my girls about strangers. We have practiced saying NO! THIS IS NOT MY MOMMY/DADDY!!! I have given them permission to kick, spit, bite, scream, pee, or anything else they think would make someone let them go. I have even role played that. OUCH!! My kids are mean.

I feel pretty confident that my children would not go with a stranger.

Then I had the realization that if a woman came up to Leighton with long hair, painted nails, makeup including lipstick, a beautiful dress, and high heels, Leighton would be gone. She would not bat an eyelash. As a matter of fact, Leighton would probably be the one to go up to the woman. So now at the playground, I am not looking for Scary Gary, I am looking for the Julia Roberts look-a-like.

2 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

I was doing a role play with Kate- me playing the stranger.
Me: Come here little girl, I have some candy.
Kate: What kind?

I, too, should be on HIGH alert.

Vanessa said...

I guess anyone is a psychopath. Even the pretty ones.