Thursday, April 23, 2009

WARNING**RANT**WARNING

People, People, People, the invitation clearly stated R.S.V.P.

Do you know what those letters stand for????

répondez s'il vous plaît
It is french and translated it means: please respond.
It does not mean:
  • Respond if you want.
  • Respond yes, then don't show up.
  • Don't respond, then show up anyway.
  • Assume that everyone knows you are coming, you always come.
  • Respond the day before the event.

I need to know whether to get food for 10 or 50, whether to set up 2 or 10 tables, how many servers I need. I know Emily Post would say that it is proper to contact those individuals to ascertain whether or not they actually received the invitation, but I don't have time to contact 85 people. It is not as if they are doing me a favor by attending the luncheon. I am not getting gifts, selling anything or getting a commission on the food.

After living in the south for nearly 13 years, it has been brought to my attention that southern hospitality does not include the subtle nuances of proper etiquette. BUT WHY??

JUST CALL, EMAIL, HOLLER, OR MAIL. IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE AND IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thank you.

3 comments:

The Amayesings said...

AMEN, AMEN, and AMEN!!! Southerners are not the only ones who fail to respondez. We've had a hard time getting responses both in Detroit and here in ID. WHAT UP!?!!!

Vanessa said...

I hate that. It is so rude.

Becca Hatch said...

First- about Jensyn: I too have been so SAD to see Kiki grow up. I pray every night, "God, please just freeze her like she is right now." He never does.

Second- about the RSVP's: I agree! Rude, Rude, Rude. And I agree with you- I should not have to call to follow up. Because if I did, I'd be so irked the conversation would go like this: "Why in the hell haven't you RSVP'd? Well, don't bother now because you aren't invited anymore."