Monday, July 6, 2009

Camping Fun!

One of the family traditions that I remember vividly as a child is camping in the Tetons with my mother's family. We always camped up Greysriver over the 4th of July holiday. I have taken both Carly and Leighton camping with my family, but neither of them remember. They were so excited to camp. They started asking when we were going camping in the Tetons the second day we arrived in Utah. This is the view as you start up the canyon. At the base of the canyon is a town called Alpine. I thought you might enjoy a picture of their hardware store. Only at the base of a mountain would you see an Ace disguised as a chalet.

One of the games that we play is called Pig in the Meathouse or Old Sow, it is a fun game with sticks, holes and a tin can. It usually ends with bruises, scrapes, cuts and at least a couple of grudges. This game was no exception.




Leighton attached herself to my poor cousin, Cade. He is so adorable, it doesn't surprise me. At one point, Leighton said, "Now, Cade, don't go anywhere where I can't find you!" A little stockerish, I think. Cade was a good sport, however and let a five year old tag along. Thanks, Cade!


Leighton also foundered on the cherries we had brought. If she wasn't with Cade, she was found exactly as below.
I have no pictures of Carly up camping, she was always sneaking off to be the camp tramp. She scrounged around each morning, trying to figure out who had the best breakfast and then siddled up to the cook. It worked every time. She attached herself to my sweet cousin, Jackie. She is a reporter/anchor for a t.v. station back east. When we got home I showed her a Youtube video of Jackie. She was so excited and said, "I have to tell my friend, Jackie, I saw her on the news. How sweet, I love her!"
We stayed in close quarters. With nights at near freezing, that can be a good thing.
It rained a lot, but cleared up enough for playing in the crick (for you back home, that is creek.)


We had a great time and are looking forward to next year, hope to see ALL the family there. We were only missing one uncle and aunt, and a handful of cousins. We are really becoming quite a large bunch. And to think, it is all because of Grandma (I guess Grandpa did help, a little.)

No comments: